A Brave New World and The Matrix and 1984 with the right parts joined describe our modern dystopia

May 14, 2015, 8:00 am

Agree12 Disagree7

63%
37%

The debate "A Brave New World and The Matrix and 1984 with the right parts joined describe our modern dystopia" was started by I_Voyager on May 14, 2015, 8:00 am. 12 people are on the agree side of this discussion, while 7 people are on the disagree side. People are starting to choose their side. It looks like most of the people in this community are on the agreeing side of this statement.

Damn3d posted 2 arguments, I_Voyager posted 1 argument to the agreers part.

I_Voyager, Damn3d, sighnomore99, PsychDave, WhyNot, wmd, soullesschicken, WordSpeller and 4 visitors agree.
jonatron5 and 6 visitors disagree.

Nashi is a Russian youth group in support of Putin. It's bears resemblance to the Hitler youth, and the political sentiment at the camp is essentially that of brainwashed love for the state

4 years, 7 months ago
I_Voyager
replied to...

I've always felt that there are certain aspects of these stories which are true in some places and untrue in others. In America and Europe, "a boot stomping on the face of humanity forever" is not happening. But the misuse of language to control people is. There you have more of A Brave New World "let's all dance and party and not care about the important stuff" is really taking over through mass media. And I really feel like "We are at war with Oceania, we were always at war with Oceania" is applied via the war on drugs and terror.

I've never heard of the Nashi before. I'll have to look that up.

4 years, 7 months ago

Not necessarily all counties, the US isn't at that point yet, neither are most European countries. I think China is a good example of it, though. Censorship is key in China, citizens cannot express themselves freely and are subject to the rule of the communist party. Speaking out against the government has extreme consequences. Although Russia is/was authoritarian, the political culture there calls for a heavy handed leader, so I am not sure they would be better off a democracy. Although if you have ever heard of the Nashi, it's a bit scary.

4 years, 7 months ago
Discuss "A Brave New World and The Matrix and 1984 with the right parts joined describe our modern dystopia" philosophy politics society
Add an argument!
Use the arrow keys to navigate between statements. Press "A" to agree and press "D" to disagree.