The debate "Christian debate" was started by
December 4, 2016, 11:57 pm.
27 people are on the agree side of this discussion, while 13 people are on the disagree side.
That might be enough to see the common perception.
It looks like most of the people in this community are on the agreeing side of this statement.
neveralone posted 16 arguments, Blue_ray posted 2 arguments, Apollo posted 3 arguments to the agreers part.
neveralone, Blue_ray, tanya, Apollo, harshita, allyssa, Rajat, redeemed, human and 18 visitors agree.
Yanksxx21, adriana, arpita00, roasting4days and 9 visitors disagree.
1) or spirituality
2) ur idea goes with the Christian ideal but we also believe to admit it to God.
1. Emotions drive one to be committed, intimant, or passionate. Without emotions, none of these things are possible; with commentment being an exception in a different context. But this is getting off topic.
We can only be persuaded to believe something using logic or emotion. So at one point in your life, you were persuaded a god exists. Would you agree it was more/all emotional versus logical?
2) Im not sure what you mean by your question. But let me clairfy/eloborate my point.
It is in our best interest to believe in as many true things than false things as possible. Im sure we can all agree on this. The part we may disagree on is the method in achieving this. But whatever mehtod you use, it needs to be consistent with everything you consider to be true. So what method do you use to determine fact from fiction?
I just accept the responsibility. If I wronged someone, I may ask for their forgivness; but for the most part I accept it, learn from it, and move on. Its been working really well for me.
3) Well "sin" never really left. What exactly changed before versus after he died? Like you believe the steps for eternal paradice is believing a god exists, asking to be saved, start a psycological relationship with Jesus. What were the steps the get to heaven before Jesus was born? Science doesnt require faith. It relys on evidence. And you can learn about the explanation or reasons why scienctists conclude there is an atmosphere and gain a good understanding. You believe the atomosphere is there probably because you respect what all scientists agree on. When mutlipe tests give you the same result, it is no longer about belief, its about understanding.
Once you have better understanding of something,then you can make a better conclusion wheter or not you are persuaded that it is true.
1) relationships are built on more than emotion. even schools know this. they say there's three things u need in an relationship or it won't work. commitment, intimacy, and passion. look up def. of intimacy before u say sex.
2) what shows that u are trying more? seeking others people's advice that they exist or knowing they do?"If i did something wrong , then i take full responsibility for that action and handle it the best way i can."that is part of asking for forgiveness. u ask to be forgiven and u do something about it.
3) that was a time when sin was everywhere and God decided it was time to step in and help us. this will happen differently again in Revelation time.bad evidence? evidence isn't a part of faith. that's why it is faith. I believe that there is an atmosphere around earth. why. scientist tel me. I have never seen the atmosphere but I have faith it's there.
which do u thinks easier? trying to go through the world with people or going through it with God?
1) Relationships are based off emotions. Almost all religions claim to have relationship with their own God. Theres even disagreements about the nature of God within the same religion and are split in denominations. People hear what they want hear. Ususally what they believe their god wants them to do, is similar to their own desires.
2)Of course my friends would mind if i thoght they didnt exist. Theyd probably seek professional help for me. At least i hope they would. I know my friends are real since I and everyone else sees them. A God with unlimited resources really wants humans to believe it exists, i would hope it could do better than an ancient book filled with unnatural events and extraordinary claims with no evidence. And i believe sin is an imaginary disease to sell the cure. If i did something wrong , then i take full responsibility for that action and handle it the best way i can. Saying a few words wont make it go away.
3)Well you believe he did walk around...2000 years ago in the middle east. So faith wasnt as important then? Why is believing something is real on bad evidence important ? Is this consistent with anything else you believe to be real?
And probably not.I would assume those millions are seeking food so they can survive and make through the week/day. Some are born and indoctrinated into another religion. So they were pretty much doomed from the get go.
So youre saying whoever doesnt believe in God cant get through a touch situation, unable to help others, and are alone?
1) no. it's based on my relationship.
2) this is a relationship though. do u think ur friends would mind if u thought they existed or not? also u have to be cleaned of ur sins and the only way to do that is ask for forgiveness through Jesus.
3) it's a reason some don't believe. but would u say it's still faith if He just walked around?
it is when it is but sometimes I know it's not. sometimes it doesn't feel like my voice but his.
are those millions seeking Him? are they praying to Him? how do u give somone help that doesn't ask for it? also believing in God doesn't grant wealth. it grants the ability to get through life when it gets tough.it grants opportunity to help others. and it grants u the ability to never be alone.
1)Well i was fully convinced at the time i "felt christ".
So would you say your decision to believe a god exits(specifically Yahweh) was based on an emotional experience?
2)So if i dont believe he exits now, he wont let me cross when i die? If there is some type of intellgent creator, i highly doubt its concerned that one species on a tiny spec believe it exists or not, especially on bad evidence.
3) Oh ok. But would you agree lack of evidence to support religious claims is a good reason not to believe?
You think it could be your own voice of reason, and not the creator of the universe?
Lets say it is the creator of the universe. One that loves humans at that. Why would he spend any effort on me when millions of other humans live in poverty?
1) involvement doesn't grant the experience. there are people who are heavily involved in church but have never felt Christ.
2) prayer is a part. prayer is simply talking to God. it's more than that. thing of a crack between u and God. u can't fly over or go under. but there is a bridge linking the two. this is Jesus. without the bridge u can't get over.
3) I felt that religion was stupid at the time. that they were wasting there time praying to there Gods or God. I don't believe that anymore.
he doesn't need to speak exactly. we feel Him and sometimes he throws signs our way and sometimes he does in a way. he can sometimes be ur voice of reason. he really speaks to u in many ways.
1) I have experienced it. Was heavily involved in church for a long time. So that cant be it.
2) So to get to heaven: Say a prayer and create a psychological relationship with jesus. And everyone else is tortured for all eternity. Is that accurate?
3) Why were you an atheist?
I've never understood how anyone can think they have a relationship with Jesus. he obviously doesn't speak to you. what exactly is this "relationship" based on?
1) no I wasn't born into it. u have to experience it to truly understand. I'm not trying to be mysterious or anything. it's just something that can't be explained only experienced
2) that's a part. we have a relationship with Jesus and we talk to Him. only through this relationship can somone enter.
3) in a way yes. I used to be atheist. I am not anymore.
Sorry i dont get on much so forgive my late reply.
Sounds like answers i used to give/hear in Sunday school.
1. So would you say you were told what to believe as a child and this belief grew emotionally? Idk your story but this is a common reason for all religious beliefs. If not what would say the biggest reason why someone else should accept Christianity claims?
2. Through jesus. What does that mean? Like saying a prayer?
3. I think you misunderstood. Do you understand the reasons why someone does not believe in a god. I can easily understand how or why people believe in god since I was a former Christian.
That is a ceremonial law in the Old Testament.
The ceremonial law is only provided by the New Testament in the minds of Christianity.
Ill try to separate ceremonial law from moral law (Christians follow moral laws of the Old Testament). The Old Testament says that adulterers are to be stoned. Clearly, we may admit Christians do not hold this as law. This was the ceremonial law of the old. We follow Jesus in the idea that whoever is without sin casts the first stone. This is the new ceremonial law.
The moral law still remains. Adultery is clearly wrong in both books.
why did you flee me? in the left vs right debate?
No. Leviticus 21 goes through rules for priests. Included are rules about priests mu marry virgins, cannot marry prostitutes or windows, if their daughter becomes a prostitute they are disgracing their father as well, etc. If God doesn't want priests marrying, why lay out rules for it rather than just saying "priests should not marry" .
Are you referring to Paul and celibacy?
If the Bible explicitly lays out rules for priests marrying, how is priests marrying not dogma? Maybe I am misunderstanding dogma vs scripture.
Which part? Priests not marrying, or the rules regarding when they can?
I dont believe it is dogma
no this is perfect for the debate.
I'm researching it and I can understand that arguments made regarding it being closer to how Christ loved since he was married, and closer to the churches depiction of heaven since they say no one will be married in the afterlife, but it still doesn't make sense to me since the Bible lays out rules regarding clergy marrying. Why make rules about priests getting married if it was supposed to be banned?
I recognize that this may be a bit beyond the scope of the debate, it just hasn't made sense to me so I wanted to ask.
Also priests are barred from marriage after their vocation.
Primarily no. Orthodox priests may be married, and if they are converted to Catholic priests, they are exempt. Most orders of priesthood vow to celibacy, and as far as I know once you are a priest you can never be (even if you leave) married unless you are given a dispensation.
so they don't marry or is it a rule?
The responsibility of the clergyman would be far too much. The vocation replaces marriage, and the priest is fully attentive to the needs of the Church.
I don't see why not but I'm not Catholic so that's more for rogue.
I have another question. Should members of the clergy be able to marry?
1)I gave how I started on that path in a diff debate but every day my faith in Him is tested and every day it passes
2) through Jesus
3) because u have the freedom to choose given by God
1. I honestly don't know. I just cannot help myself. I guess it is because in the underlying levels, I know what I truly need and what is true.
2. Faith in God and living according to the will of God. Hence faith and works.
3. Yes. I struggle with my own doubts.
Oh sure im fine with that. I only claim that divorce means nothing in a religious marriage.
The underlying issue though is that to Catholics atleast, marriage is a union before God, not the state. A divorce only breaks the state's union, not the vocation.
I have a few questions:
1. Why do you believe in god?
2. How exactly does one get to heaven in your belief?
3.Can you understand why someone else would not beleive a god exists?
that's it though isn't it. God needs to approve. if he doesn't then it's not going agaisnt that.
That is why I was curious about the beliefs of those on here. Jesus said "let no man part what God has joined" (or something very similar) and was clear that divorce should not happen, but in today's society there are so many stresses and circumstances that people of the time wouldn't have anticipated. Some people see divorce as the better option than living in an unhappy marriage, living with abuse or other intolerable circumstances. Others feel that divorce shouldn't be allowed at all. I wanted to know what you folks thought on the subject.
Do you feel divorce is acceptable in cades of infidelity or abuse?
because having a child live in an unhappy marriage is so much better?
I don't recognize divorce, but I do recognize the effects ot has on the children and possible aftermaths of it
yes. I have seen such times.
So where does that leave you on the subject? Do you agree that there are times when it's ok?
well for me I think God made marriage sacred but I also know we sometimes choose the wrong partner.
I'm curious the Christian debaters views on divorce are.
probably. I looked to see if it was the main debtors but it wasn't so idk who though that's not as important to me as the why
maybe they are trolls
haha so why disagree? what is wrong with the 2 words?
this is a specialized debate for Christians to debate about our specific beliefs with God. like but not including (since we have already done it) gay marriage. atheist can join if they want. like if u have a question or want to do the devil's advocate thing or if u just happen to agree with somone:-)